Flag Map

free counters

Monday, August 2, 2010

How a Mentor Can Help You in Business

By : Danielle Gibbings

If you don't already have a mentor you should keep your eyes out for someone that matches your personality and your goals that you think would make a good mentor. You'll find that there are many advantages and having a mentor can be a very satisfying way of helping your career along.

First, let me tell you why I think that having a mentor is so important.

In 2001 I was hired at a market research company as a call centre agent. Basically, that means that I was one of the people that phoned you during dinner and annoyed you. Yes, I did that. I still hold to my position that it is a very important job and they can't possibly know that you are having dinner or changing the baby or in the middle of a fight with your husband. It is pure coincidence!

Anyway, at the time it was a temporary job for me. My husband was unemployed and I had to get food on the table. And this was better than waiting tables as far as I was concerned.

One of my supervisors kind of took me under her wing. It wasn't a conscious decision. It grew out of a mutual agreement on many things. She saw that I had a certain work ethic. She noticed that I always worked hard, showed up on time, picked up extra shifts, and so on. And when she found out that there was going to be an opening for a supervisor I was the first person she thought of. She started priming me for the position without telling me about it. She'd ask me to work with a new employee. She'd ask what I would do in a certain situation. She was getting me ready for the interview and I had no clue that I was even up for the job.

I did get that job. And then, with her guidance, I got other jobs, too. I was promoted 5 times in 7 years at that company, even though she had moved on to another position at another company after about 4 years. We kept in contact and I went to her for advice.

And when the company I was at closed down guess what happened? I had a job within three days, thanks to her!

So, do I really need to tell you why you should find a mentor now? Ok - I will anyway.

· A mentor can guide you
· A mentor can give you information that you might not get otherwise
· A mentor can introduce you to the right people
· A mentor can prepare you for the next step in your career
· A mentor can open up new job possibilities for you
· A mentor can help you when you don't know what else to do

Job Vacancy , Indonesia Job , Job Indonesia


Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment