Flag Map

free counters

Friday, October 22, 2010

Engage Your Corporate Career Killswitch

By Matt McDonald


I speak with people every day who tell me that they have reached their limit in the corporate world. That they are at their breaking point. Many times these people are calling me from an airport, taxi, or hotel room...The road warriors. Traveling 3 out of 4 weeks per month. Sounds like tons of fun, doesn't it? They feel as though they are trapped in a situation of which there is no escape. They are too busy working to make any money. They say that they want to make a change, but when presented with opportunities to do so, they begin to look at reasons why they can't, rather then why they can. Sad.

And I always ask them, " How great is your pain, What are you willing to do in order to effect the change that you say you want?." And 9 times out of 10 they have no answer because they have no plan.It's as if they're waiting to stumble upon Aladdin's lamp so that they can make 3 wishes. Even though we all know that's not going to happen. I ask you the reader: How badly do you want change?

When I first started out working at home in my direct sales business, I also had a full time job, like many people in the home business industry. I would get up at 5:00 AM Pacific time, which is 8:00 AM Eastern. And I would start calling back east where they were already off and running. I'd call for a couple of hours and then head to my job. All the while I would focus on and visualize the life that I wanted to live. Work until 5:00 PM, get home at 6:00 PM, an hour wasted commuting. ( which I obviously do not miss. ) From 6-10:00 PM I would make calls to west coast prospects, and work on my marketing. And the next day, and the next, and the next, etc. Over and over again, until I got to the point that I didn't need my job. Why? Because the pain of my situation was so great that I was willing to do whatever it took to change my life for the better. Are you ready? What are you willing to do? You can talk about change all you want, but nothing will change unless you take action.

Our 4 year year old grand daughter lives with us. I have her coached up pretty good, She knows not to come into Grandpa's office if I am on the phone. Being a 4 year old, however, she'll sometimes bounce her joyful self into my office wanting some attention. Invariably, the person I'm talking with will ask if that's my child in the background. I tell them that it's my grand daughter, that I am so very grateful that I work at home. That my home business gives me the opportunity to take and pick her up from school and to enjoy many wonderful moments with her that I was not able to enjoy with my own children because I was always " at the office ". And if I pay close attention, I can feel the sadness and desperation coming from the other end of the phone. It doesn't have to be that way. You can change your life for the better.


Bookmark                   and   Share

No comments:

Post a Comment