Flag Map

free counters

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Is Career Advice Credible

By : CJJ Staff

Before you consult your co-workers for career advice, you might want to think twice, according to a survey by The Creative Group. Nearly 60 percent of advertising and marketing executives polled recently said they had received bad career counsel from co-workers. Another 54 percent felt they were steered in the wrong direction by their bosses.

When asked to recount the worst career advice they had received, many survey respondents recalled being told to play it safe. Examples included: “I was advised to keep quiet when there were problems.” “I was told to look for safe opportunities rather than striving for challenges.” “They told me I was as high as I was going to go in this organization and should stay put.”

Others were urged to make moves that were too risky:
“Someone told me to jump into a start-up company, and six months later the firm went out of business.” “My former boss discouraged me from going to work for a competitor, saying that I wouldn’t last, but I did. I later found out that he had made a wager that I wouldn’t join that firm, and that was why he discouraged me to work there.” The Creative Group executive director Donna Farrugia cautions, “As with any advice, it’s wise to consider the source. Although many managers and co-workers have your best interests at heart, the fact that your professional actions may affect them may color their judgment.”

Job Vacancy , Indonesia Job , Job Indonesia


Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment