Flag Map

free counters

Friday, June 25, 2010

How Smiling Can Bring You Success


Lately, for reasons that cause even me to wonder, I have had to spend quite a few mornings in a local coffee shop. I am happy enough to be there. Sipping my favorite dolce latte (and occasionally, yes, a pecan bar) is, after all, much more fun than work. But I can’t help notice that not everyone is as pleased. They don’t complain to me, of course. But boredom, or maybe it’s irritability, clouds their faces. Employees and customers alike, mind you. I want to scream: "Don’t you know how unpleasant you appear?"

Smiling is important. As the adage says, “A smile is a little curve that sets a lot of things straight.” Sure, you hate garbled orders, people who don’t understand the automated postal machine, and, oh yes, express line interlopers with their 20 items. And, true, the children did make you late this morning and this last customer will make you miss going to lunch on time. But stuff happens to everybody.

Successful people make the shift. They block off daily irritants and focus on what counts. Smiles make a global language. They help the person at the receiving end and they help you — all that serotonin and those endomorphins. Even if you have to practice, even if you have to fake it till you make it, smile.



Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment