Flag Map

free counters

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Since becoming a doula in 2003 I have supported over 40 amazing mothers and couples in the Vancouver area through the birthing process. Every year I

By : Ginger Collier-Vanborn

Since becoming a doula in 2003 I have supported over 40 amazing mothers and couples in the Vancouver area through the birthing process. Every year I am approached by new doulas or students who are currently in the process of their training and becoming certified for the first time. Most are interested in attending either interviews or births with the hope of gaining valuable experience.

What I see over and over again is that there are many doulas who love their work, dive head first into educating themselves and taking the required training; When it comes to actually finding clients and growing a business they are at a loss regarding how to tackle the process. Some of the most common questions include:

* What is the best way to attract new clients for my doula business?
* How should I structure my doula business?
* How much should a website cost and what is the best way to set it up?
* What are some of the ways I can grow my doula business beyond being a labour or postpartum doula?
* How many births can I do in a month?
* What is the best way to network?
* Should I advertise?
* How do I deal with "problem" clients?
* Can I make a living as a doula?

Starting a doula business is no different that starting any other business. Most of us are very passionate about being a doula but not so passionate about being a business owner. In order to build a business where we can actually help to put food on our table, it becomes necessary to wear two separate hats; Our doula hat and our business owner hat. We also have to wear each particular hat at at the right time.

I thought it would be a fun project to write a series of articles that are focused on what is involved in building a successful doula business; To share what has and what has not worked for me. I think there are many great doulas out there who give up because they are never able to grow their business and attract enough new clients. There is plenty of work available and I know this first hand from turning away so many potential clients due to scheduling conflicts with other births. I learned what worked for me through trail and error and hopefully I can pass along some of that knowledge and save new doulas from making some of the errors I made early on in my business. Stay tuned!

Job Vacancy , Indonesia Job , Job Indonesia


Bookmark and Share


No comments:

Post a Comment